[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:19:18 PDT 2005

On 10/18/05, Dennis Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> Joanna:
>
> > Man, I hate it when profs dump on students. Sudents are students.
> > They're big kids, just hardly starting to disentangle themselves from
> > their parents, while looking into the looming abyss of the 9-5.
> >
> > C'mon.
>
> Hear, hear. What's easy for we professors and teachers -- reading tons of
> texts, picking apart arguments, deciphering Wall Streetese -- is damn
> difficult for students. It's especially tough on students who don't have
> accumulated cultural capital, e.g. are the first in their family to go to
> college, female students, students of color, etc.
>
> -- DRR

Well, I'll never forget in my senior yr. at UCSC in a great class taught by Wally Goldfrank, where we read both volumes of Wallerstein's MWS that had come out by then, along with alot of Samir Amin, Malcolm Caldwell and Andre Gunder Frank, in one of the final sesions, a fellow senior asked, "What is this Berlin Wall you are talking about?"

Russell Jacoby made a quip once in Telos riffing off of interminable debates about the FROP http://www.google.com/search?q=organic+composition+of+capital+FROP

by saying that he felt like there was a declining rate of intelligence.

Why back in the good old days of the 70's when I was growing up, the kids knew Hendrix from Humble Pie. These days, the avg. 18 yr. old thinks Limp Bizkit invented rock.Limp Bizkit, what a rotten name for a band. -- Michael Pugliese, middle aged fogey, gimme my Iggy Pop, Gang of Four, Gun Club, The Fall, Sonic Youth noise