[lbo-talk] Local Coverage of Creationism in USA public school

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:37:51 PDT 2005

>Message: 3
>Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:17:32 -0400
>From: Matt <lbo3 at beyondzero.net>
>Subject: [lbo-talk] Local Coverage of Creationism in USA public school
> trial
>To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
>Good commentary from a local paper:
>
>http://ydr.com/story/mike/90673/

Some people with money are suing UC Berkeley over a website set up in the Museum of Paleontology for public education on the subject of evolution. They claim that the separation of church and state is violated by their inclusion with some level of endorsement of links to religious websites which express that evolution and religion are fully compatible systems. It seems like the lawyer would have to have some sort of argument she has thought out to believe she could win, but my initial reaction is that it would be laughed out of court. But if not, there must be hundreds of courses and websites in the area of area studies, philosophy, history, and politics where opinions about religion are expressed without giving equal time to each religion that also wants to be linked to. So if they established a precedent on that, where would that stop. This will be a great opportunity to let a number of scientists in the department who are good public speakers to get some press. the Caldwell lab are the ones who announced the discovery of the 2nd recognized coelacanth when the wife or girlfriend of a grad student spotted someone carrying one in a fish market in Indonesia, and they were also on national news for filming two octopus species that sometimes wrap most of their legs around their body, and walk with a human gait on their remaining two legs. http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/worldwide/story/0,9959,1595143,00.html

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/