[lbo-talk] State of R&D and Sci Ed, NAS "US sucks"

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Oct 25 11:36:51 PDT 2005

The implication of the article is that we need to generate more highly educated people, especially in scientific fields. The poor science and math prep leading to low wage "McJobs" seems dubious to me, though. Wal-mart doesn't have cashiers because of the poor science and math education in the U. S.; they have cashiers because that work is necessary and useful in their organization, and the growth of their organization creates those low wage job openings. Even if the U. S. had the best school system in the world, a large proportion of the new jobs have to be low wage, no benefit jobs, because those jobs-- janitor, child care worker, security guard, fruit picker--are necessary for the functioning of our society.

(So much for the new economy, as Doug says.)

Miles

^^^^ CB: Agree with your main point. On a side point, just struck me that job categories janitor, child care worker, security guard, fruit picker do not have to be low wage, no benefit jobs. Since they are _necessary_ for society to function, then those who work them can be provided income _necessary_ for decent life. Money is there for that if corporate profits are cut. Level of pay must not be set by the market. Tax the rich.