[lbo-talk] DD & Max on Bernanke: (Thank Heavens) He's no Feldstein

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 25 11:52:06 PDT 2005

>From a Daniel Davies post at the Crooked Timber groblog:

http://crookedtimber.org/2005/10/25/hey-have-you-seen-that-guinness-advert/

My putting in the third consecutive CT post on the Bernanke

appointment is exacerbated by the fact that it's only a quick link,

but redeemed by the quality of the link. As always, Max Sawicky has

his priorities in order:

http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/001710.html

Best of all is the passing over of the obnoxious Martin Feldstein,

who will have to content himself with endless attacks on Social

Security from his bunghole at Harvard University

It's true. Feldstein's work on Social Security has been, by and large,

disgracefully bad -- in particular, his claim that SS reduced private

savings was based on an error in a computer program:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/nftae02.htm

[Great article by Michael Yates! -- MP]

Brad DeLong rather coyly says that these days Feldstein "prefers to

stress other points" but he has never really retreated from this claim.

I hope Max continues reminding the world of this fact forever.

<end excerpt>

Michael