[lbo-talk] Bankruptcy attack?

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Oct 28 16:16:42 PDT 2005

Leigh wrote:

> I was thinking perhaps the European and Japanese automakers embraced
> statistical quality assurance at all the layers of company structure

It's not just autos or even a single policy. It's the rot and ruin of the US Empire's industrial base -- an outdated division of labor, a lack of investment in non-military science and technology, lousy public schools, no worker training, etc. US capitalism is fundamentally uncompetitive with East Asian keiretsu capitalism or Eurocapitalism. This would change only through massive doses of industrial policy (to empower workers to build better products) and social democracy (so workers can buy the stuff they build). Alas, neither looks likely right now, though they're long-term goals worth fighting for.

More shocking statistics on the US decline:

http://www.gardnerweb.com/consump/produce.html

The once-mighty US now generates 6% of the world machine tools market. That's less than super-heavyweights Japan, Germany and Italy, less than mainland China, and even less than Taiwan. Astounding, but true.

-- DRR