[lbo-talk] The "Raunch Feminism" floating debate party

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 11:07:44 PST 2005

Doug:

I like some of Momus' music (e.g., "His Majesty the Baby"), but he sounds a little rigid here. And, tragically, he doesn't like Peaches (who, admittedly, doesn't wear all that well) or Chicks on Speed. Time to fire up the iPod and listen to "Fashion Rules."

I like Momus' music too but what I like more (or, more consistently) is his blog.

Since moving to Tokyo, where he met and fell in love with a woman named Hisae, his blog and his podcasts have been pretty compelling; at least, to me.

I spend much of my time dealing with purely technical matters: at work, at home, and even here on this list where, once you adjust your signal to noise filter to mask the occasional static bursts of bad humor, sectarian argument and quick denunciation, you find yourself debating on a very wonky plane. That's important but variety is the spice and all that.

It's nice to read a thoughtful artist's perspective on things. Also, Momus, though mostly based out of Tokyo, bops around the world with Hisae and their rabbit for extended gigs in places like New York, Venice, Berlin, etc.

These jaunts always inspire new music, new writings, new podcasts, new perspectives and lively debate.

.d.