[lbo-talk] Life in Baghdad

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 30 12:46:16 PST 2005

Dina Ezzat has a good article on life in Baghdad in Al-Ahram Weekly. An excerpt:

**** ...This officer, who is in his early 20s, is not hopeful that the Americans will get out of Iraq even before he turns 70. "They are here to control the oil, water resources and the people. They will never get out," he said. Blaming Saddam for the sad destiny of his capital and, as he said, of himself, is what this officer does. "Saddam was fooled by Donald Rumsfeld to get into a war with Iran that took eight years and drained so many of our resources that we could not complete building an underground metro that he initiated in 1980. He was then fooled by the American ambassador to invade Kuwait. Once he was of no use to the Americans he was toppled and they came to occupy the country. But it is us, Iraqis, who have been losing all along."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/766/re73.htm

****

-- DRR