[lbo-talk] Art and Persuasion

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 1 07:36:19 PDT 2005

Carrol:
> Here, in Kautsky's vocabulary, you mean agitation, not propaganda. But
> your example isn't even agitation. This is a marching song, a way to
> express achieved solidarity at a particular time and particular
> occasion. The performers are the audience, the audience are the
> performers.

Hear ye, hear ye, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day :)

But more seriously, this is an important contribution to this discussion. It differentiates between active creation of art and passive reception of art. The transformative power of active participation in the creation of art is obvious and does not need to be repeated here. Some theorists of art (I believe Husserl and some of his disciples, if memory serves) argued that every work of art or literature is actively recreated each time it is perceived by the audience, so there should be no such a thing as passive reception. But that was before mass media whose contents leaves very little to be re-created and re-interpreted by the audience.

So while the transformative power of art participation - either in the form of active creating art or re-creating works of art created by others - can be treated as given, the real question is to what degree the dumbing down of the art by mass media and reducing it to passively consumed "background noise" has any effect other than desensitizing and switching off people's attention and cognitive abilities.

Wojtek

Tolstoi sees the shouting of such things at the right time