[lbo-talk] Illegal drug disruptions in N.O.

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 2 06:02:57 PDT 2005

At 07:34 AM 9/2/2005, Jim wrote:

>There is one cultural element that has not been
>discussed thru all of this and that is the dirutption
>of the illegal drug trade (and with it its underground
>economy).
>
>At work last night (I work at a crisis center in SW
>missouri) watching the video of N.O., we came to the
>conclusion that alot of the people there are starting
>suffer from drug and alcholol withdrawal. NO one is
>talking about this and we started to make predictions
>about the suicide rate. Expected it to rise
>dramatically over the next few days (dont know if
>anyone is even talking about suicide deaths yet?).

I heard 16 at the Convention Center. My son said people were jumping off roofs. Is that right? I can believe that. They are in a dehydration daze, compounded by the heat and lack of food and trauma, and probably also being eaten up by red ants, while at night they fend off river rats? I could see someone jumping.

Still, are there reports?

I was ranting last night and my son said, 'But mom, they're shooting at them.' I turned around and said, "Do you know what mommy would do if she thought you were dying? If she had to watch you eaten up by red ants while you sat on a roof or the only dry porch we could find. Do you know what lengths I'd go to, to make sure you didn't die or suffer any more? Any kid, any kid or old or sick person around me? I would shoot at a chopper."

Even the guy who got shot at basically said, "look, these are good people. They are scared people."

If there isn't a movement to have someone hang by their balls from the statue of liberty for this, i'm going to start it.

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin