[lbo-talk] Bush walk

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Sep 2 07:17:21 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood

Mark Bennett quoted:

>"But Bush was avoiding an in-person visit to the worst areas of New
>Orleans, mostly drowned in rank floodwaters and descending in many
>areas into lawlessness as desperate residents await rescue or even just

>food and water. Instead, the president was taking an aerial tour of the

>city and making an appearance at the airport several miles from the
>center of town."

How's this playing? He looks imperious, confused, and removed, but what do I know? I hate the guy.

I haven't watched it, but I imagine they'll find a couple of refugees to present to him, and then he'll give some incoherent "speech" to the National Guard, urging them to stop "lawless evildoing" or some such thing. CNN also quotes him as follows:

"We'll get on top of this situation," Bush said, "and we're going to help the people that need help."

You have to love that last clause: the thing these assholes fear the most is the possibility they might help someone who, by their lights, didn't need help. They'll be looking out for Reagan's mythical welfare-chiseling mother as they're tossing cases of water out of a helicopter.

Question: what would the federal response have been if Katrina had turned north, ravaged the East coast (as has happened in the past: Donna in 1960, the Labor day 'cane of 1938), and caused the inundation of say, Providence, The Cape, Long Island, places of that nature, thereby, forcing the lily-white, rich folk to huddle in gymnasiums and convention centers for protection?