[lbo-talk] Waiting for a Leader / Genocide

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 13:05:21 PDT 2005

sadly, despite geneva, it will not be considered genocide among anyone with control over the discourse (though, as doug shows, we do get the occasional outburst). this is, for the most part anyway, "killing people softly." if we are to consider the federal lack of response to new orleans as genocide, we would have to include a lot of other genocides not acceptably deemed as so; for instance, capitalism, which killed about a quarter billion people in the last century. most of those people were not lined up and shot; capitalism is far more efficient than that.

the consensus, for instance, that stalin committed genocide seems far from a foregone conclusion among mainstream intelligentsia, though it can certainly be argued that enough ukrainians and others died from his policies (far more than hitler though over a much longer period). i have trouble believing stalin would not have had a quick response to a natural disaster if it hit leningrad or moscow; new orleans appears to be our kiev.

--adx