[lbo-talk] Waiting for a Leader / Genocide

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:08:52 PDT 2005

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>>
>Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > > Even Scarborough was fulminating about how fucked up things were.
> > Olberman had Al Sharpton on to talk about race and class. I'm sure
> > the normal regime of ideolgoical bullshit will return, but this an
> > interesting rupture.
>
>Speculation. Much of the commentary was live and not subject to
>editorial decisions "at leisure." Hence what the reporter (or those at
>the desk at that moment) decided to put on, went on. And probably the
>reporters and even many of the desk people are (shall we say) more human
>than their bosses.

Yes, the NY Times now seems to be experiencing lag time in its usual bluenosed blue-penciling. In earlier online coverage, the NYT quoted NO Mayor C. Ray Nagin's furious comment about lack of federal aid this way: "I keep hearing that this is coming, that is coming, and my answer to that today is b.s. -- where is the beef?'" The NYT's current online version of that quote deletes "b.s." Let's not compound the horror of this event by affronting public decency!

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/02/national/nationalspecial/02cnd-storm.html?hp&ex=1125720000&en=c39cf45e7f030e63&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Carl