[lbo-talk] Creativity and Thuggishness

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 10:45:46 PDT 2005

> > Creativity and thuggishness are not
> > "contradictories" , are they ?

My point exactly. But most of the high class talent fled the Nazis, Schmitt, Heidegger, and (more ambiguously) Riefenstahl and Heisenberg being exceptions. Apparently even Junger found them to thuggish.

> > The fascists were in the "great" tradition of
> > Alexander.

What do you have against Alexander (the Great, of Macedon, I figure you mean him) He was unusually humane for his age, would only kill the men and enslave the women and children (the normal thing with warfare in the ancient world) if you resisted; if you surrendered he'd basically be nice; he never asserted any sort of Macedonian "racial," ethnic, national, or whatever inherent supremacy (as opposed to political rule) over the peoples he conquered -- in fact was criticized by Macedonians and Greeks for Persianizing too much. He wasn't mad or especially cruel; he was ruthless with subordinates who were. He was no proto-fascist, although he did replace Greek democracies with oligarchies. As wold conquerors go, Alexander is near the best of the lot.

Capitalism is
> > essentially creative thuggishness, creative
> > destruction.

Schumpeter's term, yes.

Hitler was an
> > artist.

If you mean his painting, not as a leader -- Churchill painted as a recreation while in power, i believe.

> Reagan was an artist.

A perfectly competent B-movie second string actor his whole life.

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs