[lbo-talk] Creativity and Thuggishness

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sun Sep 4 18:09:08 PDT 2005

Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com--h.

I think Charles wants to condemn Western (whatever that means when talking about ancient Macedonia)

^^^^ CB: This "whatever Western civilization is" type comment is always very disingenuous when this topic comes up, like I made up the notion of Western Civilization , and I made up the connection between ancient Greece and Western civilization, like it's not a fundamental subject in high school/college. U help make my argument by faking as if there isn't such a thing as Western civilization, self-identified by modern Europe, which traces its own roots back to Greece and Rome, with a special place for classical studies in university which means ancient Greece and Rome only, not all the other ancients. I learned all this going to college. I didn't make it up myself. Why does European/American philosophy trace its roots only to the Greeks ?

The idea is that the concept of imperialism today has roots in the imperialism of Alexander.

^^^^^^

civilization en masse. He's not uptight over Genghis Khan, who ruled over the largest empire in history.

^^^^

CB: I'm not sure Khan's conquests were not a defensive reaction against other imperialisms around there.