[lbo-talk] Two from the morning news

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 5 08:24:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:50:18 -0700 "Leigh Meyers" <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> writes:
> Some mornings are weirder than others...
>
> GWB tries to federalize the Louisiana National Guard.
> Gov. Blanco says no, would rather keep control of resources.
> Lt. General Honore, Joint Homeland Security Command , agrees with
> governor!
>
> The authority over the National Guard, according to the US
> Constitution, is
> shared equally between the State Governors and the Federal
> government...
>
> GWB has modified John Robert's SC Nomination... Chief Justice.

I think that the nomination of Roberts for Chief Justice is an indication of political weakness on the Bush Administration's part. I think that under almost any other circumstances, Scalia would have gotten the nod for Chief Justice, but that would have meant having three different Senate hearings for Supreme Court vacancies: one for Roberts, one for whoever would be replacing Rehnquist ,and a third hearing for Scalia. I think that the Bush White House is trying to cut their losses by reducing the number of Senate hearings to two. We'll watch to see, who they pick for the second Court vacancy.