[lbo-talk] Chertoff: "Katrina Scenario Did Not Exist"

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 5 12:00:32 PDT 2005

On 4 Sep 2005 at 14:11, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I know Chertoff slightly. I think he's being honest. I
> doh't think he'd tell what he thought to be a lie if
> prompted ina briefing. He was, among other things, a
> (really good) US Attorney and a federal appellate
> judge, two things that give one an allergy to bald
> faced lying. jks

I seriously doubt US Attorney's or fed appellate judges are, for some reason that is intrinsically linked to their job, less likely to lie than anyone else. What an elitist, and odd, position for you to take. I'm a bit surprised. I've been in Federal court and didn't notice any aversion to lying when I was there.

How is it possible that he didn't know what every Corps. of Engineers employee and every Dept of Conservation in LA knew? How could he stand there claiming the forecast wasn't accurate enough when it was dead on perfect?

If he isn't lying he is so far removed from reality he should probably be institutionalized. I don't claim to know if he's either a liar or a dilusional incompetent but he is certainly one or the other.

John Thornton