[lbo-talk] Where's Dick Cheney

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 5 14:12:06 PDT 2005

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/national/nationalspecial/05bush.html>,

> a review of Rove's PR strategy: focus on the future, and blame the
> local Dems.
>
> >One Republican with knowledge of the effort said that Mr. Rove had
> >told administration officials not to respond to Democratic attacks
> >on Mr. Bush's handling of the hurricane in the belief that the
> >president was in a weak moment and that the administration should
> >not appear to be seen now as being blatantly political. As with
> >others in the party, this Republican would discuss the
> deliberations
> >only on condition of anonymity because of keen White House
> >sensitivity about how the administration and its strategy would be
> >perceived.
> > In a reflection of what has long been a hallmark of Mr. Rove's
> >tough political style, the administration is also working to shift
> >the blame away from the White House and toward officials of New
> >Orleans and Louisiana who, as it happens, are Democrats.

I can see a serious weakness in that strategy. If the Bush Administration is going to pin the blame for the bungled response to Katrina on local and state officials in Louisiana, then what does that say about the vaunted leadership abilities of the Boy Emperor, if it was the case that he allowed some measly local officials interfere in the performance of his duties as commander and chief. A true leader, would presumably have been able to make these local and state officials fall into line for the sake of the national interest or he would have been able to push them out of the way. Rove's strategy may help Bush to hold onto his hardcore base of about 35% of the electorate but that's about all that it will do. And it's an interesting fact that people like David Brooks and Andrew Sullivan seem to be jumping off Bush's ship. When the rats start fleeing, you know that the ship is gone.