[lbo-talk] anxious

Cseniornyc at aol.com Cseniornyc at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 10:21:39 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote: "People have been forecasting some sort of bone-crunching crisis for the U.S. economy, and the broader world economy, for several decades. They point to rising debt, financial market instability, or whatever the problem of the moment is. And that crisis has failed to materialize. It could yet someday, I'm not denying that. But its repeated failure to materialize should prompt some reflection on why it hasn't, and why the propensity to predict it persists. On the first, I think the prophets of doom underestimate the skill and power of state bailout managers (and also fall for the temptation to see every problem as a crisis). " ****************************************************************************** ********************** I think we have some mutual misunderstanding here. I agree with your assessment of wishful thinking forecastings by the left and the Austrians on the demise of the system. But I think this reasoning is symmetric and it equally applies to the cheerleaders who only see a rosy outcome in the horizon. That's why I pointed out specific economic items to consider in assessing government statistics before swallowing them whole .I wasn't forecasting any immediate crisis but it is obvious that the system is facing severe problems that might lead to one sooner than later. The twin deficits are approaching 6 % of GDP, the saving rate is near zero and SEA central banks hold immense amounts of US debt ; then would some one please tell me how the policy makers in any economy can deal with this problems without causing a severe contraction and a reduction of the standard of living ? Please tell me because I don't want to appear to be an ill wisher but I can't figure out any economic mechanisms leading to a better outcome.. Again I agree the system has so far shown extraordinary resilience. But you don't specify the mechanisms (I don't imply you don't know them, most likely you do) by which this is possible. In my opinion a lot has to do with the US hegemonic imposition of the dollar as the sole reserve currency in the world. This has facilitated the vast expansion of the financial sector ,locally and internationally, which has been able to fuel he economy almost unlimitedly via genuine creative investment, asset bubbles and explosive, unprecedented corporate and consumer debt. This has certainly oil the system well..Finance has

been able to turn its activity into exchangeable commodities becoming a partially autonomous sector. This is something that Austrians and old fashion Marxists miss. Although gloomy views are not limited to them .Analysts and operators within the system such a Stephen Roach from Morgan-Stanley, Paul Krugman, Warren Buffet ,The PIMPCO guys and George Soros do not exactly hold rosy views on the immediate economic future. Because , as powerful as it maybe be, the system also has its limits. I think it is beginning to test its lower boundaries right now. We'll see how long it will take. All I can say is that eventually every chain letter runs out of addresses. Cristobal Senior -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050907/7c16cf16/attachment.htm>