[lbo-talk] Chavez to Speak in NYC's Riverside Church on Sep. 16th

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 9 06:06:38 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Skepticism justified about electronic voting in the USA? Yes. The
>same for Venezuela's Chavez? Nah!
>http://agonist.org/story/2004/7/5/42913/99946 (also see the photo of
>the shrine to Chavez there)

Where we read: "Critics fear touchscreen voting machines in the Aug. 15 vote could fail spectacularly, exacerbating a crisis over Chavez's rule that has polarized the world's No. 5 oil exporter and killed dozens in sporadic political violence." Didn't happen that way, did it? No less a figure than Raoul Cedras' good friend Jimmy Carter certified the results.

What's your point here, Michael? You don't believe Chavez is massively popular in Venezuela, not to mention the rest of LatAm?

> Ricardo Alarcon who authored a tribute to John Lennon after he was
>killed, when Beatles fans in Cuba in the 60's were thrown in jail.

Well, the Beatles have received too much uncritical adulation over the decades.

Doug