[lbo-talk] the Mises ramble on Katrina

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 14:16:48 PDT 2005

But you're missing an important point: the Mises
> gang doesn't like
> police states or imperial armies.
>
> Doug

No, they like the model of gangland Chicago, with private Protective Associations you have to hire to protect from each other (and themselves).

Robert Nozick correctly saw this as a pre-state situation from which (because protection is a natural monopoly), a dominant protective association would emerge because of the ordinary operation of market forces.

"Don Corleone, be my friend. I seek justice."

Of course with the mob, the ordinary operation of market forces is interfered with by the pesky police, FBI,. etc.

As Nozick also saw, the difference between this situation and the state is pretty damn razor thin if it is discernable at all.

Mises and Nozick fail to explain how market forces are to work without an enforceable law of contracts and torts, legal assignment of property rights, courts, police -- in short, a state.

One may hope, of course, that the state is not imperialistic or a police state.

jks