[lbo-talk] Chavez to Speak in NYC's Riverside Church on Sep. 16th

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 10 06:50:44 PDT 2005

Doug asks Cristobal:

> Is Chavez above criticism?

I find this question a tad disingenuous. No one has suggested that Chavez is "above criticism." What we have found unseemly is the statement that a black church who would host Chavez is made up of "useful idiots" who are misled by white "Leninists." No one is saying that there is no such thing as legitimate criticism -- only that one person in particular crossed the line into gratuitous red-baiting. Similarly, the attacks on Cindy Sheehan that emerged from the same quarter were pretty gross, on a level that I would expect to find in the Weekly Standard, but not here.