[lbo-talk] Chavez to Speak in NYC's Riverside Church on Sep. 16th

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 07:40:13 PDT 2005

Ever read any copies of The New Masses, John? Where John Dewey was called a Fascist in 1939 or Chester Himes the same in 1947.

Cristobal called me, offlist a neo-nazi, several levels beyond neo-con in the bestiary. Called Ian a neo-nazi too.

As for Leninists and Leninism, I've always recommended Trotskyist texts like, "Party, Army and Masses in China, " by Livio Maitan, "The Revolution In Peril, " on the Cuban Revo., by Jeanette Habel, the first edition of, "The Tragedy of the Chinese Revolution, " (on the debacle of '27) by Harold Isaacs, Fred Halstead's volume of the anti Vietnam War movement, etc.

As for my Sheehan comments, her, "Atticus Finch, " , "my hero, " Lynne Stewart who lauded Mao's and Stalin's repression in the MR interview, she is smart enough once she does a little reading and reflection, to correct Stewart if she sits down w/ her again. My hunch is that like me, she likes Stewart's grandmotherly babushka persona (almost every old, non-intellectual Stalinist I've ever known has been much more likable than most of the intellectual Trotskyists I've known), and I'd also think that on reflection Sheehan doesn't confuse reactionary Islamists w/ left anti-imperialists like Stewart.