[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Sep 10 11:47:33 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hey, but now Abba's cool. Hipsters nod their heads along with
> "Waterloo." They were just ahead of your time.

Cool kitsch, yes, but not cool as subcultural capital (to mangle the term, but then, hell, it wasn't completely useful in its original form). Kitsch can be hip, but it doesn't imbue the same power in knowledge of the object. The only coolness in kitsch is knowing how to select and arrange it, not knowing about it per se. Unless some group has decided Waterloo actually has musical qualities that should be appreciated in and of themselves, and I haven't seen that anywhere.

> But you bring up an interesting point - why is there Norwegian death
> metal, but no Swedish death metal?

I had a student writing a thesis on death metal once, years ago. I can't remember what the reason is but there was an explanation touted in scholarship on metal. I know, that's so helpful of me to say... I should get back to work. Confess, Doug, you really created this list just to have more cause for procrastination when you should be writing, didn't you?

Catherine

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.