[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Sep 10 11:49:28 PDT 2005

> You're probably referring to Norwegian *black* metal -- not death metal.
> That black metal scene is famous for its right wing, pagan and Satanic
> orientation. Death metal is more interested in general concepts of death,
> pain and suffering. I've been out of touch with this for a while, but I
> think that Sweden is better known for its death metal. Perhaps religion
> isn't as important in Sweden as in Norway...

Ooh ooh! The reason was partly about the political/social uses of myth in Norway rather than Sweden and the institutionalisation of Christianity. There's Norwegian death metal, though. Definitely. I remember having to listen to it.

Catherine

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.