[lbo-talk] Jerry Lewis as worst-case scenario [wasRe:PrivateHateMail Gang Up]

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Sep 10 13:18:32 PDT 2005

On Sep 10, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> I've no doubt about that. His biographer Shawn Levy shows what an
> asshole and prick Lewis was throughout his life and career
> (including several nasty personal encounters with Levy). I was
> talking about his comedy, his craft. Lots of comics or artists are
> utterly depraved individuals. Is that how you judge their work,
> whether or not they kick their cat or yell at their father?
>
> Dennis

IMHO his work sucks too. He portrayed himself as a "halfwit" often mimicking someone who had spasticity and slurred his words. All these are traits that some disabled people have. We don't think that is very funny. He used impairment in ways to make people laugh at him for these characteristics. He has no consciousness of the disability movement and we (speaking for lots of disabled people I know who feel the same way) hate the asshole himself and his comedy routines.

Marta