[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

Lionel Mandrake brotherlyshove at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 15:56:20 PDT 2005

> Like
> Roxy Music, they were both confidently
> post-adolescent and thorougly
> modern. There was no question of their pretending to
> be teenagers or
> pursuing a teenage market."

Why is it folks can't just have guilty pleasures without dressing it up to be cool. This is just a silly way of getting some of Roxy's perennial coolness to rub off on the perennially un-cool Abba. They were non-nostalgic adults is pretty much what this says. You could compare them to Steely Dan on the same basis.

But it's not even true. I was a teen when Roxy was big in Britain and it seemed to me from live concert footage that, as with Bowie, their audience was as young as I was.

I also remember at the time that Abba seemed like a bit of a throwback to me. Not retro so much as hopelessly behind the times. It seemed to me that any country that could give forth those clothes and that hair with such earnestness, when the UK and the States were giving up the likes of Bowie and Lou Reed, must be a pretty drippy place.

______________________________________________________ Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/