[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 05:57:10 PDT 2005

--- Lionel Mandrake <brotherlyshove at yahoo.com> wrote: I also remember at the time that Abba seemed like a bit of a throwback to me. Not retro so much as hopelessly behind the times. It seemed to me that any country that could give forth those clothes and that hair with such earnestness, when the UK and the States were giving up the likes of Bowie and Lou Reed, must be a pretty drippy place.

--

Abba was hugely popular in the Soviet Union. Supposedly they had a deal with the government whereby they would get their albums sold and in return give cheap concerts, or something like that.

Then it was Depeche Mode. Teenagers used to gather around the statue of Karl Marx in downtown Moscow every year to celebrate the lead singer's birthday (can't remember his name offhand). And in the 70s it was Deep Purple.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

______________________________________________________ Yahoo! for Good Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter