[lbo-talk] black vote

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Sep 11 11:53:00 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "martin" <mschiller at pobox.com>

On Sep 10, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> But keep spinning that there's no difference between the parties.
> You
> sound a lot like Bush playing the same old record.

- From some points of view, chuck might appear to be movement building -(toward alternatives from the major parties, which seem to disparage -alternatives equally.) Is that what you mean when you say chuck is -like bush, and bush is also trying to build an alternative to the -major parties?

No-- I mean just as Bush ignores reality to reinforce Republican rule, so does Chuck ignore reality to reinforce Republican rule.

Movement building does not create "alternatives", since that puts the organizer in some god-like position of bringing new forces into play. Movement building is about expanding the effectiveness of existing forces through coordination.

But Chuck is an anti-coordinator; he glorifies individualistic action at the expense of coordinated action and message. That's not movement building, just media propaganda.

-- Nathan Newman