[lbo-talk] Charges? We Don't Need No Stinking Charges

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sun Sep 11 17:49:02 PDT 2005

At 12:36 PM -0400 11/9/05, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Similarly, although there are methods available that would
>intercept, and perhaps prevent, nearly all terrorist activity, the
>measures required (again, in all but those case where surveillance
>is established and clear evidence of intent to do harm has been
>established is available) would create a dead society -- one in
>which relentless observation and runaway suspicion were the defining
>characteristics of our daily lives (we're closer to that now, but
>not quite fully there).

Are you sure? The "emergency powers" given to Australia's secret police ASIO, meant for terrorists, are now being used against peace activists. You may very well ask why, however the secret police don't have to answer questions like that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1458026.htm

ABC Online News Monday, September 12, 2005. 10:21am (AEST)

Activist's arrest prompts questions about security powers

A prominent lawyer has questioned whether the Federal Government has abused its powers by planning to deport an American peace activist.

Scott Parkin has been in Australia since June.

He was arrested in Melbourne on Saturday after his visa was revoked when an assessment showed he posed a threat to Australia's national security.

Human rights lawyer Julian Burnside QC says he wants to know why it took so long for authorities to act if indeed Mr Parkin is a security threat.

"They've got the right but the question is whether that right has been exercised in a way that provides sufficient protection for ordinary citizens of Australia," he said.

Greens Senator Bob Brown has described Mr Parkin's detention and probable deportation as an abuse of ASIO's powers.

"We're not a police state," Senator Brown said.

"ASIO's emergency powers, which have gone through the Parliament opposed by the Greens, were meant to be for terrorists, not for people who are campaigning against the misdeeds of the US administration or its associates."

Mr Parkin's legal adviser, Marika Dias, says he has attended several protests in Australia but has done nothing wrong.

She says Mr Parkin is shocked by his arrest.

"He's suspected of doing something but what that something is hasn't been made clear to him or us," Ms Dias said.

"To my knowledge the activities that he's been involved in have been about peaceful protests, peaceful activism, certainly non-violent activism."

A group of peace activists has staged a demonstration in support of Mr Parkin at Milton in inner Brisbane.

Protest spokesman Sam La Rocca says Mr Parkin is an advocate for peaceful community action against corporate greed.

But Ms La Rocca says the Government's actions are wrong.

"The Australian Government is once again failing to protect real national security and what they're doing today is deporting democracy," she said.

"I think it's shameful."