[lbo-talk] Charges? We Don't Need No Stinking Charges

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 19:14:42 PDT 2005

> So let's call him Joe Blow (or John Doe #2, if you
> get my drift). If Mr.
> Blow were determined

a nice vague phrase

to be a Big Threat (though
> presently not ableto be
> charged),

because he hadn'tr dont anything?

and say Mr. Blow wasn't a citizen of the
> US, you might find him
> getting deported and put on a list that would keep
> him out of the US in the
> future. But this Mr. Blow is a citizen.
>
> What should be done? The strict pre-9/11 legal
> analysis would be:
> charge him, or let him go. Is that still true?

Well, that's what the Constitution says and thEW Supreme Court says you mustr do so within 48 hours or less, in a case that is still good lwa.

> Let's just say they let Mr.
> Blow go and he does one day set off a dirty bomb in
> Chicago. What would we
> all say then?

You'd say, shit. I wouldn't say anything, I'd be dead.

But the fcat is the the world id full of bad people with wicked intentions, leaving aside the gang in the administration. You can't just go around locking them up indefinitely withput charges or probable cause and stay a free society. It's that simple.

If Mike Chertoff were ask me what I think we should do with someone he suspects but cannpt prove and has no probable cause to believe is going to commit a terrorist act, I'd say, watch him pretty carefully. If he hasn't done anything that would cause a reasonabler person to believe that he committed a crime -- and conspiring to commit terorist acts is a criome -- then you have to let him go. If you think he dangerous, watch him. Get authorization -- under the Patriot ACt is isn;t hard -- to search his house. Tap hims phone. Do what you usually do.

Unlike you, Jordon, I don't think this a hard question.

______________________________________________________ Yahoo! for Good Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter