[lbo-talk] Body Count Politics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 12 07:39:25 PDT 2005

Chuck:
> Has anyone noticed how the press has been downplaying the death estimates
> from New Orleans? The official count as of 9/11 is 154. Given the Bush
> administrations manipulation of data in the past (the downplaying of the
> asbestos threat after 9/11/2001, for example) how are we to ever believe
any
> numbers that come from government agencies? How many bodies will be
> disappeared on the grounds that it is not hygenic to keep rotting corpses
> around. This administration has a real poor record when it comes to
> discussing the facts with citizens. I fear we will have to wait for years
> for the true facts to be known and when we do learn the facts, it will be
> clear things are much worse than anyone would have guessed.

This was quite predictable from the following pieces of information:

9/11: loss of life ca 3,000 Bush admin response: implementing police state

NO: Loss of life ca 10,000 (predicted) Bush admin response: no problem, everything went just fine

Even the deeply delusional GOP-bots can see a discrepancy with reality here. If reality contradicts Repug political propaganda, it is the reality that must yield, or rather be doctored accordingly.

Wojtek