[lbo-talk] Jerry Lewis as worst-case scenario[wasRe:PrivateHateMail Gang Up]

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 08:28:21 PDT 2005

>From Cahiers du Cinema Yearly Top Ten Lists
1963 1. Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard) 2. The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock) 3. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Bunuel) 4. Adieu Philippine (Jacques Rozier) 5. The Trial Of Joan Of Arc (Robert Bresson) 6. Muriel (Alain Resnais) 7. The Nutty Professor (Jerry Lewis) 8. Les Carabiniers (Jean-Luc Godard) 9. Salvatore Giuliano (Francesco Rosi) 10. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini)

http://www.hoveyda.org/cahiers.html
>...And I can't think of a better word to describe the speculations
published in the CAHIERS during the period when wildly original thinkers like Lacan, Levi-Strauss, Georges Bataille and Jacques Derrida were being enlisted in the service of film theory. Working with what was at hand, the CAHIERS writers knocked together eclectic assemblages out of the most heterogeneous elements imaginable: Lacan and Fritz Lang; Bataille and Jerry Lewis; Levi-Strauss and Jacques Demy; Lacan, his student Serge Leclaire, Derrida (it took three of them) and Howard Hawks. The Hawks article, "RIO LOBO: Viellesse de Meme," was written by Daney in 1971 (230.) It is a Bugs Bunny cartoon boinging onto the screen after one of Lacan's famous "seminars," and, like many of the Bugs Bunny cartoons, it is a work of concentrated brilliance.