[lbo-talk] Orange revolution, how are ye

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 09:17:17 PDT 2005

Chris Doss:

As I said over and over again during the OR, and nobody believed me...

Well, I believed you.

And although I don't enjoy as much detailed information about Ukraine and its politics as I'd like to (being an aspiring polymath and all) there was a moment, during the American media coverage of the OR, when its inevitable collapse into the disappointing now was clearly predictable.

While things were still all orange banners and attractive women on shoulders and 'democracy is bursting out all over' the American media outlet, National Public Radio, had their man in Kiev, Lawrence Sheets, breathlessly gliding through the crowds asking excited young people questions about their "hopes and dreams" (of course).

One of these people, a young woman with very crisp English, talked about prosperity, joining the EU, being modern and stylish like Yulia Tymoshenko, driving Audi A8s and other shiny things that would flow from this revo.

I sort of knew, right then and there, that if the bulk of Yushchenko's supporters were nursing such dreams it was only a matter of time...

.d.