[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 12:18:01 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Tom Walker wrote:
>>
>> >Nothing -- short of sustained, mass civil disobedience -- will
>> >alter this political equation.
>>
>> Disobedience of what laws, by whom, where, when?
>>

>These are precisely the questions that cannot be answered in advance.
>Tom rightly cites Sheehan's Camp Casey -- which isn't quite illegal. And
>his reference to consumption decisions is _truly_ not the kind of
>consumption politics that I have attacked in the past. All his
>suggestions point towards, are consistent with, Gramsci's manuring
>metaphor. Your questions point back to the the dormitory bull session or
>the grad seminar.

Oh go fuck yourself, Carrol. Tom declares that civil disobedience is the way to go. That sounded like a declaration unattached to any specific people or actions, so I asked him to clarify what he meant. You are endorsing a tactic without any specified actors or actions. That's an even purer form of bullshit than my question.

Doug