[lbo-talk] while Bush slept

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Sep 12 13:21:38 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood

But the president, who was in San Diego preparing to give a speech the next day on the war in Iraq, went to bed. ___________________________________

Well, Bush was never really in the city of San Diego. He flew into the North Island Naval Air Station, which occupies one half of an island in the middle of San Diego Bay, and he stayed there the entire time. Which seems odd. Does this man never show himself to the public outside of a military base? I mean, look at his itinerary today: He flies onto an aircraft carrier and deigns to visit NO itself now that it an armed camp. San Diego is as reliable a Republican city as one can imagine (after all, Nixon considered it his "lucky city.") if Bush is loath to show himself to the public at large in San Diego I can't imagine where he'd feel comfortable doing so. The man is unusual in this respect, isn't he?