[lbo-talk] racial divide

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 16:43:13 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The breakdowns by race in that ABC/WP poll were presented in a
> graphic, so I didn't include it in the text. It's worth looking at
> though. What planet do 3/4 of white Americans live on?

My guess is that they live in a suburban, white planet on which what they believe/see about blacks is delivered by the media. The media shows blacks to be 1) criminal (reality shows) 2) unskilled/poor (news) or 3) Oprah. Given that, it's should be pretty clear that they are being treated fairly and that the only reason they don't have what we have is because they are lazy, drugged, or vicious.

U.S. society, outside a few urban centers, is a fragmented society of bubbles. What you "get" after selling your soul/body all day is that you get to live in a bubble where no one will disturb your fantasies, hobbies, customized escapes, denial, etc. So, you get some really weird intepretations of reality.

Not excusing; describing.

Joanna