[lbo-talk] racial divide

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 13 06:54:02 PDT 2005

Joanna:
> U.S. society, outside a few urban centers, is a fragmented society of
> bubbles. What you "get" after selling your soul/body all day is that you
> get to live in a bubble where no one will disturb your fantasies,
> hobbies, customized escapes, denial, etc. So, you get some really weird
> intepretations of reality.

I concur. It is, however, important to realize that this observations applies not only to white suburbanites, but everyone - including ghetto dwellers and left-of-the-centre literati. The irony is that ghetto dwellers are indeed plagued by more than a fair share of lazy, stupid, anti-social and criminal elements and survive only thanks to their delusions and denials. As to the left-of the-centre literati - they suffer from a cognitive gap between their expectation s and the reality which would put them in mental institutions had it not been for their delusions and denials.

A few years ago I watched the film _Matrix_ on a trans-atlantic flight (which is my main venue for the mainstream movies). An interesting sub-theme of that otherwise predicable action flick was the concept oh human being as batteries being tapped for their power (labor-power?) while their sensory organs were being fed images that conceal the ugly reality. This struck me as an unusually accurate description of the United States - a big flickering image, a delusion of monumental proportions projected on a globals scale. Flip the switch off, the flickering light goes out and the American reality is right in front of your eyes in all its hideous ugliness.

I think that Bush administration's only service to humanity is making that hideous ugliness plainly visible for everyone to see.

Wojtek