[lbo-talk] racial divide (Two quotes)

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:36:04 PDT 2005

OK... Three quotes.

Wojtek Sokolowski: [Tuesday, September 13, 2005 5:33 AM]
> Why is that surprising? This country was built on delusions and
> denials from day one - the delusions of an utopia, a city on a hill
> and the denial of the means of building that utopia i.e. slavery and
> genocide. If it were not for these delusions and denials - backed by
> federal bayonets - this whole thing known as the US of A would fall
> apart like house of cards long time ago.
>
> Wojtek

Ben Franklin knew...

"Dr. Franklin, What have you given us?"

"A Republic Madam, if you can keep it." ---Benjamin Franklin's response to woman outside the Constitutional Convention at it's close, 1787.

Compare the response of the current federal stewardship to a request for information on the state of the nation:

"I'm the commander-- See, I don't need to explain-- I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explaination." --Transcribed from Bush At War, Bob Woodward

I think it's clear to see which way it's gone.

Wojtek Sokolowski: [Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:54 AM]
> I think that Bush administration's only service to humanity is making that
> hideous ugliness plainly visible for everyone to see.

Yes. The job is to prove that government does not work. They are doing that job with gusto, zeal, and aplomb.

Because public service IS NOT the goal:

"Sir, there are two passions which have a powerful influence on the affairs of men. These are ambition and avarice; the love of power, and the love of money.

Separately each of these has great force in prompting men to action; but when united in view of the same object, they have in many minds the most violent effects.

Place before the eyes of such men, a post of honour that shall be at the same time a place of profit, and they will move heaven and earth to obtain it.

The vast number of such places it is that renders the British Government so tempestuous. The struggles for them are the true sources of all these factions which are perpetually dividing the Nation, distracting its Councils, hurrying sometimes into fruitless and mischievous wars, and often compelling a submission to dishonorable terms of peace.

And of what kind are the men that will strive for this profitable pre-eminence, through all the bustle of cabal, the heat of contention, the infinite mutual abuse of parties, tearing to pieces the best of characters?

It will not be the wise and moderate; the lovers of peace and good order, the men fittest for the trust. It will be the bold and the violent, the men of strong passions and indefatigable activity in their selfish pursuits.

These will thrust themselves into your Government and be your rulers.

And these too will be mistaken in the expected happiness of their situation: For their vanquished competitors of the same spirit, and from the same motives will perpetually be endeavouring to distress their administration, thwart their measures, and render them odious to the people."

--Benjamin Franklin, Letter to the Federal Constitutional Convention in objection to the establishment of a salary for the executives of the federal government - June 2, 1778 (Antifederalist #5) ]

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml