[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!"

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Tue Sep 13 14:30:11 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote,

>Yeah, I know. I was wondering if someone actually knew anything about
>doing this kind of planning.

I know a bit, having worked for a total of five years in planning departments with 'participatory' programs, having written several papers on community-based programs and planning and having worked as a consultant on a city planning department public involvement program. I was also briefly a doctoral student in the school of City and Regional Planning at Cornell. I just finished copy-editing the introduction and conclusion to a European textbook on Reflexive Governance.

http://www.sustainable-transformation.net/pages_fixframe/documents/Reflexive%20Governance%20Content.pdf

There's a lot to know, what specifically were you wondering?

My focus on the working time issue comes in part from my experience in participatory planning programs. People need to be paid for being involved and they need to be guaranteed paid leave from work to participate. Otherwise, the programs tend to drift into hobby horses for those who have the time, which is to say zealots, crackpots, the hired representatives of financial interests and the 'usual suspects' of social service agency personnel

The Sandwichman