[lbo-talk] [Fwd: RE: [Marxism] Poll shows Blacks are much more aware of class-racialcharacter of govt role in flood]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 13 20:36:43 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: [Marxism] Poll shows Blacks are much more aware of class-racialcharacter of govt role in flood Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:49:46 -0400 From: Mark Lause <MLause at cinci.rr.com>m>

This isn't surprising. However, the polls are structured in such a way as to emphasize race and frame the difference racially.

It doesn't give us the really informative breakdown, but I'll make a good guess for what it would show, because I used to do this exercise in classes....

Such a sizeable portion of the white population is in racially segregated suburbs, they are a built-in disproportionately pig-ignorant component of the poll. I used to ask my freshmen if racism was still an issue. Almost all blacks always said yes. Almost always, a little over half the whites said no. When you broke it down based on where they were living, the white kids who said racism remained an issue were almost all in the city, while those who said racism wasn't an issue almost all lived in the suburbs. I should add that the few blacks who'd say race wasn't really an issue invariably lived in black enclaves in the 'burbs.

So what's measured here is being framed and presented in racial terms, but there's much more to it. It's really a reflection of how the ruling class has combined formal desegregation with the construction of a suburban reservation for social ignorance and cultural self-righteousness.

ML