[lbo-talk] Re: BREAKING NEWS ALERT: Judge declaresPledgeunconstitutional

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 15 11:13:38 PDT 2005

Cmde Cox opined:
> Feminists don't divide the working class. Sexist workers divide the
> working class.
>
> Gays & Lesbians don't divide the working class; heterosexist workers
> divide the working class.
>
> Demands for civil rights (I dislike the term "human rights") don't
> divide the working class; unions that don't demand such rights (e.g.,
> elimination of "under god" from the pledge) divide the working class.
>
> Attacking racism (even minor expressions of it) does not divide the
> working class; workers' failure to support such attacks divides the
> working class.

Your reasoning is based on the false assumption that the working class is naturally unified and any divisions are the result of someone dividing it. The opposite is true - there is no such a things as a united working class unless, just a bunch of workers that may or may not form a diverse bunch of groups of varying degree of cohesion. So nobody needs to "divide" what is already divided, but if anything - r to unify it - which to be honest with you, borders on impossibility.

Unless of course we engage in teleological fantasies that the goal in our minds is real and the ultimate cause of all things.

Wojtek