[lbo-talk] America's road to hell

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Thu Sep 15 11:17:34 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen

I think Gavin Whatsisname's view has a lot to be said for it.

I think the Wehrmacht was one of the best armies in the history of the world. It took the combined (numerical) superiority of the Red Army (well generaled after the initial disasters) and the Western Allied military (decently led), with US material superiority, 5 years to beat it.

jks

Yeah, I don't think anyone seriously argues that the Wehrmacht "sucked." I've read some stuff which suggests that Wehrmacht wasn't the invincible war machine that it is popularly thought to be, but that's a long way from concluding that it "sucked." I don't think any serious military historian doubts that the German army was the best fighting force in both World Wars, with the Red Army a close second.