[lbo-talk] legal query

Scissors MacGillicutty scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:44:20 PDT 2005

All:

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Isn't this because buying a co-op essentially means "going into
> business" with everyone in the building? It's very different from
> buying a condo.

True: buying a co-op actually means buying shares in the building which come with what's called a "proprietary lease" to an apartment. As was repeated to me over and over again when I bought mine, under the law, a co-op is personal property, not real property. Can't stores and restaurants reserve the right to refuse to sell or serve people?

I'm not defending this, just repeating what I've been told.

smg