[lbo-talk] legal query

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 12:38:08 PDT 2005

Anyone can refuse to sell (or lease) to anyone else for any reason or none as long as the reason is not proscribed by law. Neither NYC coops nor condo owners can, for example, refuse you because of your race. Proof of race discrimination (I anticipate the query) is difficult but not impossible. Absent direct evidence of discrimination, you can make a case if you can show you were treated worse tham similarly situated persons outside the protected class, and there was no legitimate reason they can show -- the burden shifts back to them to at least bring evidence of a nondiscriminatory reason. jks