[lbo-talk] Hitchens Reviews "Darkness At Noon"

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 12:30:27 PDT 2005

It's not terrible, fair enough to Koestler, but there's the subtext behind his attack on fanatics who want agreement, not mere obedience (not in fact true of the particular fanatics H is mainly on about these days -- the Islamists don't want us to agree with themn, just to leave them alone). And he's fallen into the sort of tedious anticommunism that Isaac Deutscher so mercilessly dissected in a brilliant essay the name of which I have now forgotten. Michael P will doubtless have it, with url, at his fingertips. The note at the bottom says that H wrote another piece on the "anticommunist intellectuals" Susan Sontag and Czecslaw Milocsz -- a kind of reductionist way to treat Sontag. Or for that matter Milocsz,a great poet.

jks