[lbo-talk] Hitchens Reviews "Darkness At Noon"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 15 13:07:47 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>The
>note at the bottom says that H wrote another piece on
>the "anticommunist intellectuals" Susan Sontag and
>Czecslaw Milocsz -- a kind of reductionist way to
>treat Sontag. Or for that matter Milocsz,a great
>poet.

As George Galloway put it last night, Hitchens has descended from the gutter into the sewer. It's sad to watch him continue to deteriorate. Aside from his usual blather about Iraq, he denounced Galloway for having been rude to US Senators (!), warned his hecklers that "Mum and Dad" were watching on C-SPAN, and took a total Bush line on Katrina relief by blaming the local authorities. He even argued that anyone who said that the Iraq deployment undermined the resue operations was guilty of anti-Arab racism and a betrayal "of our internationalist duties." Sad as hell.

Doug