[lbo-talk] "Reparations": 2+2=?

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Fri Sep 16 07:33:08 PDT 2005

See also Precott Bush, "Bert" Walker, Brown Brothers Harriman, slave trade.

last night:

"As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well.

"That poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action.

"So let us restore all that we have cherished from yesterday, and let us rise above the legacy of inequality [not to mention slavery]."

<snip>

"I propose the creation of worker recovery accounts to help those evacuees who need extra help finding work. Under this plan, the federal government would provide accounts of up to $5,000, which these evacuees could draw upon for job training and education to help them get a good job and for child-care expenses during their job search.

"And to help lower-income citizens in the hurricane region build new and better lives, I also propose that Congress pass an Urban Homesteading Act.

"Under this approach, we will identify property in the region owned by the federal government and provide building sites to low-income citizens free of charge, through a lottery. In return, they would pledge to build on the lot, with either a mortgage or help from a charitable organization like Habitat for Humanity."

The Sandwichman