[lbo-talk] "Reparations": 2+2=?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:42:22 PDT 2005

Sandwichman:
> "I propose the creation of worker recovery accounts to help those
> evacuees who need extra help finding work. Under this plan, the federal
> government would provide accounts of up to $5,000, which these evacuees
> could draw upon for job training and education to help them get a good
> job and for child-care expenses during their job search.
>
> "And to help lower-income citizens in the hurricane region build new and
> better lives, I also propose that Congress pass an Urban Homesteading Act.
>
> "Under this approach, we will identify property in the region owned by
> the federal government and provide building sites to low-income citizens
> free of charge, through a lottery. In return, they would pledge to build
> on the lot, with either a mortgage or help from a charitable
> organization like Habitat for Humanity."

I like these ideas, albeit they do not go far enough - I would suggest creating a permanent federal employment program (e.g. public works) offering a living wage job (with required training if needed) to any unemployed or underemployed person and taxing private businesses to fund that program (if needed) - but why, for dog's sake, calling it "reparations"? This concept exemplifies what is precisely wrong with the left in this country - ranting about the past instead of offering constructive solutions for the future.

Wojtek