[lbo-talk] Palast's Palimpsest: Lying About Galloway.

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 18 09:46:06 PDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:10:33 -0400 "John Lacny" <jlacny at earthlink.net> writes:
> Galloway is not my favorite political figure (though his performance
> in
> front of the Senate was absolutely thrilling), and his salute to
> Saddam's
> "indefatigability" was stupid. And I am sure that Palast's interest
> here is
> that he supports the anti-war movement and does not want Galloway to
> emerge
> as a sort of spokesman for it, for fear that his kookiness will
> discredit
> us. But if Palast thinks this is a real danger -- particularly in
> the United
> States -- then he has been living in Britain for too long. Galloway
> is a
> blip on the screen here, and no one cares about him but the few of
> us who
> pay attention to this inside baseball. It does not justify one --
> let alone
> two -- commentaries from a credible left investigative journalist. I
> also
> thought that the comment about him being rich now was a cheap shot,

And in recent years Galloway has managed to augment his personal wealth by collecting libel judgments from various newspapers, such as the Daily Telegraph and the Christian Science Monitor, for having published demonstrably false and malicious stories about him. Whether or not the British intelligence services have been orchestrating these stories or Tony Blair's political operative, who knows? But people who have claimed to have had the goods on Galloway have had a history of coming up short on him. However, in any case, we can trust Michael P. to keep us apprised of the latest accusations against, whether well-founded or not.