[lbo-talk] Free to Choose to Conform

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 18 10:21:58 PDT 2005

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

> I don't get what's wrong with makeup. I think many men could do with
paying a lot more attention to their physical appearance, in fact. It seems that one of the aspects of hetero male privilege is a complete lack of attention to appearance; straight guys can get away with a lot, which I think is a reflection of their dominance.

As long as we don't wear earrings. A little stud (!) in the ear (Hi, Iggy!), maybe, or even a tiny ring, but nothing dangly--that's limited to ties and to the new redneck (if I got a people, those are my people) custom of wearing a real long belt so the end dangles like a dick (and a limpdick to boot [and don't get me started on boots]). (I wonder whether it's supposed to imply dick length.) They do let us trim our eyebrows, and our nose and ear hairs.

> Esp white guys.

I think black guys are free to choose to conform in different ways.

I did see something interesting on campus recently--a young black guy with one of those big rodeo-style belt buckles. That was new--I liked it better than the Pacino-as-Scarface t-shirt his friend was wearing.